Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Shopping bargains and transplant news

I've been away from blogville for a while.  My computer crashed so I couldn't get on it.  It had a very bad virus.  Fortunately we have a friend who was able to fix it, but I lost everything on it.  I am so glad I backed my pics on disk! 

Also, my youngest sister was in town and I tried to spend as much time with her as I could.  She was only here for a week and Jack was still in the hospital when she got here.  So between spending time with him and spending time with her, it wasn't easy!  But this past weekend we spent time doing one of our favorite activities....SHOPPING!

First we went to Kohl's and hit their clearance racks.  My sister has this amazing eye for seeing things others pass over.  She kept pulling clothes of the rack and saying things like "Look at this top.  It's only $2.80 and it would look so cute on you!", or "Sue, you have to get this.  It's only $3.00!", or "I'm going to buy this, you should get one too.  It's only $3.20."  But I was not interested in buying for myself.  I was a woman on a mission.  I was Christmas Shopping!  This year I want to buy gifts without going in debt.  So when dear little sister started showing me all those bargains, an idea popped into my head.  Christmas presents for the fam.  So I started grabbing off the shelf and looked at everything.  I can't post what I got, (in case any of my family members read my blogs), but I also got a $42 pair of Capri slacks for $9 for myself.  I spent $124 but saved over $280!  And then to sweeten the deal, I got $20 in Kohl's Cash!  Woo-hoo!

After we left Kohl's, we headed over to Target to check out their clearance racks.  Oh my goodness, I found some more clothes for the grand kids and kids.  I found a shirt for myself for $2!  I spent another $60 but saved over $200!  I was so thrilled!  I was able to get gifts for six of my grand kids plus my kids. 

After three hours of shopping I said goodbye to my sister and went home to get ready for church.  I was wishing I could have spent more time hunting the clearance rack for bargains but knew I didn't have time.

On Sunday my sister called me and asked me if I wanted to go to the Kohl's by her son's house.  Of course I said YES!  We got to Kohl's around 2:00.  We went with two other gals and we all went our own way.  I headed over to the petite department to see if I could find a nice shirt to go with the Capri slacks I purchased the day before.  Since I was already wearing them, it should be easy.  I just needed to match colors.  Ha!  I not only found the perfect shirt (after four different choices), but I found another pair of really cute Capri slacks for $3.  Of course I had to find a blouse to match so I kept looking.  My daughter found a pair of cargo Capri pants that she insisted would look really cute on me.  They were $38 dollar slacks for $3.80 so of course I agreed.  And of course I had to find another shirt for those slacks.  I found one for $2!  I was in hog heaven.  I got three outfits for less than $30!  And these were not cheap outfits, but good quality clothes.  These are clothes I can wear to work, and since I haven't bought clothes in well over two years, I feel OK about the purchase.

PLUS, I continued to Christmas shop and got more for the grand kids, and hubby!  I only have one grandson and one granddaughter still to buy for here in AZ!  (I still have my three in Cali, but may do a gift card...we shall see.)  Anyway, my total at Kohl's this time was $113 and my savings was $249!  Plus another $20 in Kohl's cash!  My baby's birthday is Thursday, and I am taking her to Kohl's.  If she's smart, she'll get everything off the clearance racks.  $40 in Kohl's cash will buy a lot!

My sister only spent $24 but she got a lot.  Our friend Denise spent $400 but she saved over $800 plus she got $80 in Kohl's cash.  We had a blast shopping!

We spent three hours at Kohl's and then headed to Target.  My sister still needed to buy a pair of shorts for her son.  Denise and I were shopped out so we headed over to Starbucks and went over our receipts to see how much we saved.  We were thrilled.  I asked her if she had been Christmas shopping, and she said "Nope!  Just shopping!"  I asked her if she would adopt me.  She just laughed.  I don't think she realized, I was serious!

After we left Target we headed back to my mom's house for dinner.  Judie said goodbye to Denise and they cried a little.  Denise and Judie have been best friends since grade school so its always emotional when Judie has to leave. (They are such good friends that they even got matching tattoos while she was here.  The got half a butterfly on their foot so when they put their feet next to each other, it makes a whole butterfly.  Yeah, I know...corny!)

Mom had the best sweet corn on the cob, chicken, salad and pilaf rice waiting.  Yum!  (Food is always so much better tasting when mom cooks it!)  While cleaning the kitchen my sister sliced her finger on a very sharp knife.  I thought we should have taken her to the ER but Dad saved the day with some green band aids. 

It was getting time to go home and my sister didn't want me to leave.  So my hubby made the huge sacrifice and let me spend the night.  We were up till after 12:30 and we both slept on the couches.  I didn't sleep well, but expected I wouldn't.  I knew we had to get up early to head to the airport so I thought I might get six hours sleep.  But Dad decided to take us out for breakfast before we headed to the airport so we got up a little after 5 a.m.

I hated dropping her off at the airport.  I hate it when she goes home.  But hopefully this will be the last time we have to do that.  If all goes well, she will be home for good by Spring. Of course, I'll have to avoid going to the store with her, or I will be in the poor house for sure!

Yesterday I was too pooped to do anything so I just sat around and watched TV.  Today, I debated on writing my blog since I really don't have many followers but realized that I don't write this blog to be followed, but I write it for discipline.  So that when I finally write my book, I will have some sort of discipline under my belt.  So, here's my blog.

On another very important note...Jack is home from the hospital!!  He is very tired but slowly getting better.  Of course, he feels like he should be back to normal by now and I have to keep reminding him that he is just getting over pneumonia and it takes time.

And, even more exciting, on Friday he got a phone call from the Mayo Clinic.  They told him not go out of town anytime soon.  It appears that he is next on the list for an O+ transplant!  And we also got a letter yesterday from our insurance to let us know he has been approved for the kidney/pancreas transplant.  So we are praying he gets both at the same time.  He's been a diabetic since he was 17 years old so he can't even imagine what it would be like to not be diabetic.  He's been testing his blood and taking insulin for 42 years! 

Can't think of anything else to write today.  So I'll end with one of my favorite scriptures.

Hebrews 11:1
Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Be blessed,

Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment