Thursday, July 29, 2010

Whose Money Is It Anway?

Why is it when I'm broke everybody has something on sale that I need?  There is this great vacuum I want to buy.  It is called a Meile and from what I've read about it, it is pretty great.  But it costs $600.  However, it is supposed to guaranteed for 20 years.  I want that vacuum! 

Two of the tires on our Honda were getting threadbare and it was becoming a safety issue.  So dear hubby took the car in to get new ones.  We had to get all four tires replaced because it could ruin the transmission if we didn't.  My son-in-law is a mechanic and he confirmed this as true.  It will cost $400.  I'm not a rich person and quite frankly, I don't have $400 extra dollars right now.

Fortunately, Discount Tire let us finance them, 6 months no interest.  So I'll be spending an extra $50 a month to pay it off.  I'm not complaining.  I've got four great tires on my Honda and they should last a while.  But I sure could have used that $400 for other things...like a vacuum.

So today, the vacuum repair guy called.  He is fixing my fairly new Bissell, or as he calls it, the throw-away vacuum (because they aren't made to last), and wanted to let us know that he is having a Christmas special.  He will sell us the Miele at 15% off.  That would bring the vacuum down to just over $500.  Oh, and I could get an additional $50 off because they have a "cash for clunkers" on the old vacuum  And, we also can finance the vacuum for six months, no interest. 

I want that vacuum!  I need that vacuum!  I'm not buying that vacuum...

At least not now. 

I have been working so hard on trying to get us out of debt and it seems like every time I think I see some light, something else happens.  The tires, the vacuum, my teeth (I won't even go there), etc.

Sometimes I think, maybe I'll hold off tithing this payday and then catch back up later.  But I know how wrong (and how dangerous) that kind of thinking is.  I mean, whose money is it anyway?  It really isn't mine!  It belongs to my Father and I am to trust Him in ALL things.  I mean, this guy owns the cattle on a thousand hills!  If He can take care of the lilies of the field, I'm sure He can take care of me!

The only time my Father asks me to test Him is in the manner of my finances.  (Mal. 3:10) Why does He ask us to test Him?  I think because He knows how much we love money.  And the love of money is the root of all evil. (I Tim. 6:10)

So the vacuum is going to have to wait.  I mean, if it's that good, it will be just as good six months from now or even a year from now.  Meanwhile I'll pay the $60 to have the "throw-away" vacuum repaired and I'll tithe my check and trust my Dad to take care of me.  I am the apple of his eye, after all! (Psalm 17:8)

Deuteronomy 15:10
Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.

Be blessed,

Sue

1 comment:

  1. There has never been a time when choosing NOT to tithe has worked well for me! Any time I'm tempted, I think about Malachi's question, "Will a man rob God?" You're right; none of it was mine to begin with, and considering that when someone borrows something from me I feel entitled to have the whole amount repaid, I'm ashamed that I would even consider holding back the mere 10% the Lord asks of me.

    Good on ya, mate! (Oh, and welcome to blogland!)

    ReplyDelete