Friday, July 30, 2010

Words

It's so easy to say things that hurt others.  I find this especially true on the Internet.  Somebody writes something ... a thought, a comment, a concern, etc., and other people respond.  I personally think a healthy debate is good for the soul.  But it crushes my heart when someone comments back with comments filled with hate, anger, unkind words, etc.  It happened today.

I woke up this morning praising my Lord and my heart was glad.  I faced my day full of love, joy and excitement.  I reflected back on last night's message at my Living Free group.  (It was excellent, by the way!)  He talked about how we can relapse into our old addictions if we aren't careful of the traps from the enemy.  The devil is always looking for ways to trip us, to get us to go back to that place we were before we began our recovery.  The message was good...I took notes.  Unfortunately those notes are at  home, and I am not.

Today someone posted their thoughts about a very controversial issue happening in my state.  There was some really great discussions going on, all of it polite and respectful.  We didn't agree on everything, but we understood where we were coming from.  It wasn't something that I had planned on debating too much, mainly because it was originally my friend's post and I don't think it is very nice to argue on someone else's page.  I also didn't want to debate it too much because the issue is not one of money, or religion, or choice of job, but it was one of race, culture, nationality. 

I am Caucasian.  I have no idea as to how a person of color feels when they are discriminated against.  I can't even imagine the hurt that someone feels because some callus person disrespected them based on the color of their skin.  Yesterday one of my dear friends commented that it wasn't a good day for her to be brown.  People can be so hateful.

So anyway, back to the issue.  We were posting our comments and thoughts and it was all respectful and tasteful by those who posted.  I stated that I didn't believe it was God's will for His children to fight over these type of issues.  I believe He would want us to pray, pray, and pray some more for resolution that would be fair and just to all.  I believe it is the devil that would want God's children to fight and he takes great strides to stir things up just to stand back and watch us make fools of our selves with hateful words.

So I prayed before I posted.  I heard what others said and I respect their comments.  We don't have to agree.  God gives us each our own minds and our own feelings.  I believe that by praying and seeking God, He'll show me what I should do and He will eventually answer my prayer.

As I said, I thought it all went well and ended nicely.  Until...somebody took my words and threw them back at me and made some negative remarks about me and who I align myself with.  I don't know this person.  I've never met this person!  He doesn't know me from Adam but he felt it was OK to say hateful words and it wasn't even his page! 

So I felt myself relapsing into depression.  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  I was about to let some stranger I didn't even know cause me to walk right into the hole the devil had waiting for me.  My happy, chipper mood was gone.

Praise God, because His righteous anger welled up inside me and I realized,  it's not that man I should be angry at!  It is the devil himself!  So I released my anger by handing it over to the Lord.  I prayed for this person and asked God to bless him mightily.  I also prayed for my friend because I know she never intended for hateful words to be posted on her original comment.

I did not relapse and it is only because of God and the victory He gives me for each day.  I am so glad I went to my group last night.  I was so tired but I wanted to be obedient to my Father.  I learned some important steps on how to avoid relapsing.  God, your timing is perfect!  (Duh!)  Thank you Father for your great love!

Colossians 3:12-14
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

Be blessed,

Sue

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! And very well done! Way to keep satan in his place (behind us). :-) How I love and adore you sister :-)

    ReplyDelete