Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Galatians 2

The Goodwin Family


Paul states that his trip to Jerusalem was not because the elders called for him, but because God told him to go.  Paul wanted to make sure that what he was teaching was in agreement with the leaders of the church because he didn't want to be running his race in vain.


He also brings Titus along with him, who is uncircumcised.  One of the issues Paul had been dealing with was a group of "false brothers" who said  Gentiles who converted to Christianity had to be circumcised.  Most likely, the false leaders where Pharisees.  So it wasn't really surprising that they wanted Titus to be circumcised.  I'm sure they wanted to do anything they could to throw a monkey wrench in Christianity.

If we are saved by grace, then circumcision is not necessary.  Paul does not want to put that added burden on new converts. He also wants to make it know that God's salvation is for everyone, not just the Jews.
 
The leaders of the church agree with Paul and the only stipulation that was stated was in verse 10 where he is told to keep on helping the poor, which he was eager to do. 
 
I feel strongly that if Christians today would be as willing to help the poor as Christians were in Paul's day, our welfare system would not be in the shape it is in.  Sadly, many Christians today don't even tithe, much less help the poor.
 
Another part of this chapter is when Paul talks about Peter.  Peter knew Jesus personally.  He was one of the original 12.  Peter is probably one of my favorite people in the Bible.  Peter is the one who walked on water.  He also cut off the soldiers ear when they came to get Christ. He went on to deny Him three times.  He was also the one Christ commissioned to "feed my sheep."  He blew it several times, yet he went on to write Peter 1 and 2 and become a strong leader in the church.  That in itself gives me great hope.  It tells me that even if I make mistakes, God can still use me.
 
Anyway, when he was with Paul, he was hanging out with the Gentiles, eating with them, being friendly with them, etc.  But then when some of the leaders of the church came to town, Peter stopped eating with them.  Paul boldly confronts Peter to his face on this issue.  Paul was willing to rebuke Peter for the sake of the Gospel.  He wasn't worried about what Peter or the leaders would think of him.  He knew he answered to God only.
 
Paul makes it clear that they are not saved because they are Jewish and obey the law.  But rather they are saved by faith through Christ Jesus.  He states that the law condemned him.  He died to the law so that he might live for Christ.  A great verse is verse 20 where he says "It is not I who live, but Christ who lives in me." 
 
I love that verse.  I want to have that same attitude. 
 
I came away from this chapter with a better attitude about my walk with the Lord.  I realize I do not need to look for man's approval, but for God's approval.  I'm going to make mistakes, no doubt about that.  But I know if I confess my sin, He is faithful to forgive them.

I did have a hard time writing on this chapter.  I had a dozen things going on around me at once and have had to put this on hold and come back to it several times.  I think I have conveyed pretty much what I wanted to say.  It was difficult with a two month old colicky baby girl who just wanted to be held.    Tomorrow should be better.  I am also going to try to separate this blog from my regular blog so I'm not posting so much on the main one.

Be blessed,

Sue

1 comment:

  1. so true! I had a lot going on in my mind as well! loving all that I am learning!
    if you see a post from josh it was me but my husband was logged in!

    ReplyDelete