Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to work and the real world!

I've been off work since last Thursday.  I took a few days off to help my daughter when she had the new baby.  So for the past four days I've been a substitute mom to two little girls.  My baby is 27 years old so its' been a long time since I've had to get girls up, get them dressed, do their hair, etc. 

Since I was off Thursday and Friday, it wasn't that big of a deal to get Lilly off to school.  Monday is also my flex day so it was not much of a problem yesterday, either.

Today was a totally different story! 

I knew that my husband couldn't handle both girls while I was at work, so we took Desi, the four year old, back home yesterday.  (To say her heart was broken is an understatement!  She cried big tears when we left her.)  We stayed and visited with the new baby for a little while and I helped my daughter straighten up the house a little bit.

We came home and I got Lilly to bed and asleep by 9:00 and was in bed myself by 9:30.  Got up this morning at 5:15 and took my shower.  Lilly woke up shortly after, on her own. 

Getting ourselves dressed was easy.  And God bless Papa, he cooked us both breakfast.  I packed her lunch box while I ate.  After breakfast I took her in to do her hair and brush our teeth.  Lilly has long curly hair so it takes a long time to brush.  Thankfully I braided it the night before so it wasn't full of knots. 

At 6:30 we were ready for Papa to take me to the bus.  I almost forgot my own lunch, but remembered just in time.  I made it to the bus and they headed back home to wait for Lilly's school to start. 

When I got to work Papa texted me and had me call Lilly.  She cried when I got on the bus but he was able to make her laugh and all was good. 

I will keep Lilly until Friday night so for the next three mornings I get to repeat this routine again!  For all those moms out there with jobs outside of the house and young children you have to dress and get ready for school or daycare, I don't know how you do it every day, but you have my deepest respect and admiration.  I was a SAHM when my kids were growing up and I thought it was hard getting them ready back then!

So today I went back to work.  Aaaah, so peaceful and quiet!  (Until the phones ring anyway!)  I know why God gives children to the young!  I don't know how Sarah and Abraham did it! 

On another note, my 14 year old granddaughter started her Freshman year last week.  I am amazed with this child.  She is extremely smart and very wise.  She is teaching herself Japanese without a tutor and she wants to write a book.  She is already working on it now.  I believe Paige will be able to do anything she sets her mind to and the world had better watch out!


She is so beautiful!  It's  hard for me to believe she is really 14 and a Freshman in High School!  It seems that it was only yesterday when she started Kindergarten.  I am so blessed to have such wonderful children and grandchildren.  They are truly a gift from God!

2 Corinthians 10:17-18  (NIV)
“But, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.”

Be blessed,

Sue

2 comments:

  1. I know that I am blessed to be a SAHM. I don't know how working mothers get it all done. You are a good mom Sue to help your daughter out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! And Paige is a lovely girl. Your grandma pride comes through loud and clear!

    ReplyDelete