Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Can you hear me now?

On the way into work this morning I was resting my eyes and praying about pretty much everything that popped into my head.  I was meditating on the human race and how messed up we all seem to be.  Pharmaceuticals make a killing on anti-depression medications.  People take drugs for every ailment imaginable.  Some, of course, are absolutely life saving and very necessary.  The diabetic must take insulin every day.  The transplant patient must take multiple medications each day to keep that organ from being rejected.  And even people with serious depression find some relief in an anti-depressant pill. 

So this post is not about taking medication or not taking medication.  No, this blog is about something much deeper.  (At least for me.)  And that is, why are we so quick to turn to a doctor for every ailment, serious and minor, but won't turn to the greatest Physician in the universe?

My husband had a mug when we first got married that said "God loves each and every one of us as if there was only one of us."  This is so true!  When I look at my children I know that I love each one of them equally.  Even when they were living in total disobedience to my will and wishes.  I never, ever loved one less than the other.  And if I can love my kids even when they are rebelling, God most definitely can love us even when we are living a life of sin.

God, in His compassionate love, mercy, grace and kindness, created a way to communicate to us that anyone can understand.  By using the hands of man He created the Bible (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth).  In His Word, He shows us His heart, His desires, His wishes and His will for our lives.  We learn through the teachings of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, and James that God is a loving God.  He is a God who wishes that no one would ever perish. 

He is also a perfect God who cannot allow any sin in Heaven.  And knowing that man was full of sin, He offered up His only Son as a perfect sacrifice.  Prior to the death of His Son, people were offering sacrifices year after year after year, trying to seek God's forgiveness.  But God knew that we are just humans, incapable of living sin free 100% of the time.  So Jesus took all our sins, past, present and yet to be committed, and gave Himself as the ultimate sacrifice.  Once and for always!

The only thing we have to do on our part is to admit we are a sinner and have fallen short of God's glory.  And then we need to just ask Jesus into our heart and forgive us from all of our sins.  And amazingly, miraculously, He does just that! 

I've heard people say, "How can a loving God condemn someone to Hell?"  And my response is, "Why do you refuse the free gift of salvation by not asking Christ into your heart?"

You see, God's desire is that none would perish.  2 Peter 3:9 says "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness.  He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.  John 3:16 says "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."  And one of my favorite verses, John 10:28, Jesus says, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand."

WOW!  That is to me, a very loving God!  And He speaks to us every single day.  He gives us His Holy Word but He also speaks to us through other means.  Some people call it a subconscious but I believe it is God speaking to us through His Holy Spirit.  He speaks to us through nature.  The rainbow is His promise that he would never destroy the earth again.  He speaks through other men by giving them words of knowledge. 

Have you ever been going about your business and suddenly a friend or family member or even just a coworker or someone you hardly know, pops into your mind and you have this desire to say a quick prayer for them?  Sometimes it happens in the middle of the night!  That is God's way of telling us we need to pray for that person.  Many times I have had this happen to me only to find out later on that at that exact same time, the very person I was praying for was going through a difficult time and they felt my prayers.  They were able to get through that trial and go on!

Sometimes God will use a child to speak to us.  You've heard the saying "Out of the mouth of babes!"  I believe children actually hear from God better than we do because they haven't been disillusioned by the world yet.  They still have an innocent faith and don't question God's abilities.

Once God even spoke by using an Ass!  (Numbers 22:28)  It's a very interesting story about how God opened the mouth of an ass to speak to Balaam.  (And if He can use an ass, surely He can use me!)

I also believe God speaks to us through earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, volcano eruptions, etc.  This old earth is so full of sin and corruption.  It is everywhere you turn.  I believe God uses the natural disasters to speak to us to return to Him while there is still time!  I'm not saying God causes them, but I am saying He allows them to show us that the time is short.  The harvest is ripe but the workers are few.

God speaks to us every single day, in a multiple of ways.  The question is, are we listening?  Can we hear Him now?

2 Corinthians 6:1-2 (NLT)
As God's partners, we beg you not to accept this marvelous gift of God's kindness and then ignore it.  For God says,
     "At just the right time, I heard you.
        On the day of salvation, I helped you.
Indeed, the "right time" is now.  Today is the day of salvation.

Be blessed,

Sue
 

No comments:

Post a Comment