Friday, August 6, 2010

Welcome to my crappy day

I just wrote this blog about my day and why it's so crappy and then I deleted it.  Sometimes it's better to be quiet than to express one's feelings.  So I will be brief.

Today is the 16th  anniversary of my granddaughter's death from drowning in a pool.  She would be 18 now.  Sometimes life stinks.  Sometimes it stinks so bad I just want to run away!  But I am a responsible adult so I stay.  (Thanks mom, for instilling responsibility in me as I grew up.  Today I'd rather be irresponsible, but I learned well from you.  You are a good teacher!)

Christy was buried in a pink fluffy casket.  The lady who picked it out, Sandy, was a friend of mine.  Shortly after she picked it out she was diagnosed with cancer.  Sandy's in heaven now and I'd like to think she has visited with Christy and shared the message from me that I asked her to give to her.  She kept a picture of Christy in her Bible so she wouldn't forget what she looked like.  Oh Sandy, I bet you are having a blast right now!

It's hard to believe it's been 16 years.  I try to picture Christy as an 18 year old and I just can't see it.  She will always be that cute little two year old who shared her sandwich with her papa and always saved him a spot on his chair.  She loved her papa very much.

She loved wearing my shoes all the time.  She'd go in my closet and come out with a different pair constantly.  I was always picking up my shoes and shaking my head as I mumbled her name.  I'd love to be able to do that to her today.  I think that's why I never mind Desi and Lilly doing it.  It reminds me of their cousin.

Sixteen years!  So much has happened since that dark morning.  Christy had an older cousin, Nicole, who loved her like a sister.  They were only four months apart.  Cole called her "Sissy."  She also had a baby cousin, Jared.  I had three grandchildren.  Now I have 15 with one being born next week!  They all bring such joy to our lives.

Still...I miss Christy.  I will always miss that precocious little girl. My one bright light in the darkness of that day is knowing I will see her again.  I can't wait to hear her share stories about Heaven and our Savior with me.  My lap will be ready to hold her.

It's a sad day for me and mine, but I can't help but think it's a glad day for Christy.  While we mourn this anniversary, she celebrates.  Because for 16 years now, she has danced on streets made of gold and walked with our Savior and seen the Glory of God.   How awesome is that!

So yes, today is a crappy day for me.  But Christy is celebrating.  Happy anniversary sweetie!  I love you, I miss you and I can't wait to see you again.

Psalm 121 1-2 (NIV)
I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

Be blessed,

Sue




3 comments:

  1. "While we mourn this anniversary, she celebrates...." this brought tears to my eyes Sue, as I've said it myself many many times. It's faith like this that helps us go on here on earth. one day at a time... ((hugs)) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for you loss. It doesn't matter how many years go by - we still grieve.

    Thank God, though, that He has a promise for us through Jesus and that you will see that precious child again!! Praise God!!

    Thank you for sharing this today. My heart grieves for you and also rejoices with you.

    God bless you - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. SueI can't imagine the hole that Christy left behind when she passed away. I know the pain for your family was terrible. I am so thankful that you know and love the Lord and that He truly is your comforter.

    We really can experience true joy knowing that Christy is in the presence of Jesus. No tears, no pain, no fear... Christy is in paradise! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete